Welcome to my Domain
Welcome to my Domain
This page is to provide answers to silly questions I get.
So why is my domain called "abnormal.com"? The short answer is that
all the cool names were already taken. After picking something good and then finding out it was already taken, a friend of mine and I wrote a program to
take every word out of a dictionary and see if it was taken. "Abnormal" was
the second on on the list of available domain names.
Many of my friends think (or in some cases, they know) the name fits me.
What is this machines name "not"? A friend sugessted it to fit with abnormal.com but the sparc station was originally "knot" and "not" was
a simple alias. Once tacked on to ".abnormal.com", "not" just seem to fit
in a warped sort of way. Now the laptop is called knot and the latest addition is called naught.
Most of these machines are behind my absolutely hack proof fire wall
(i.e. no network) so you can't get to them unless they have links. Some
of them are only there from time to time (like knot) or have nothing on
the main page (like naught.)
Other computers in my Domain:
Why the "scum" trend? I'm not sure. Susie named uscum, scumette,
scumnet (the network they are on) as well as nowhere. I'm not sure if
she was thinking about the computer or me when she named them.
- web.abnormal.com -- My web server. It's a spacrctation somewhere in KC.
- www3.abnormal.com -- My other web server. It's a mirror of web.abnormal.com that is hanging off a fast link on the US east cost.
- naught.abnormal.com -- My home pc provided from work. It's a pc running linux and its got a telstra cable modem.
- knot.abnormal.com -- My tadpole sparc based laptop.
- eac.abnormal.com -- My companies web server. Which is down for a while.
- ns2.abnormal.com -- A second name server that lives somewhere in Oklahoma.
- bonzo.abnormal.com -- This is my home PC. It's usually in St Louis.
- uscum.abnormal.com -- Yet another home computer. It is really the son of Uscum.
- bonzo.abnormal.com -- It was an XT. It is now landfill.
- nowhere.abnormal.com -- My retired car computer. It's a 386 or a 486 depending on my mood and what parts are in installed in the car or on the counter top so I can fix the software. It has a 5" color EGA monitor that is almost good enough for radar images and maps.
- scumbag.abnormal.com -- This was my sister's 386SX that I borrowed for testing web pages.
- noose -- An ICM 3216 based machine. It was trashed by the UMC IEEE club so I gave it a home. It was called noose because it was at the end of its rope.
- scumette.abnormal.com -- Also an NS3216 based computer that I designed and built.
- cron -- A 6811 based clock. When it can listen to a radio, it can set it's self from WWV
The backgrounds used on my pages are all my art work. I like the maze since
it's concept is so close to the web. Can you find your way through the maze?
It even has a path when tiled. The background images are 4 color GIF images
to allow for compression and quick loading while still allowing readability.
No you can't use them unless you ask.